Friday, December 18, 2009

Filo? Filo!

I am fascinated by filo dough. I'm being completely serious. It's the dough used when making the Greek pastry Baklava (which I might add is delicious as eff). I'm obsessed. I was watching Bobby Flay's cooking show on Food Network a couple weeks ago, and they showed this one bakery in Hell's Kitchen; apparently this is the only bakery in the United States that still makes there filo dough by hand. The process of making this dough is insane! I can't even explain it. I've included this weird video with a Scottish narrator that shows the process of creating the dough. The amazing part begins at about 1 minute and 30 seconds into the video. This part is called 'opening the pastry'.




I'm ridiculous, I know, but these are the things I love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was my face, during the entire video:

O:

Shit, this kind of makes me wish I enjoyed Baklava (Haha, accent man) a bit more than I do. I mean, it's good, but I'm not crazy for honey. Mostly though, throughout the entire video I was just contemplating on what it would be like to have that job-- to spread filo dough, endlessly, or push a product into a box, forever, or throw little balls of dough into a chute, for 8 hours at a time.

I'd end my life, right then and there.