Saturday, December 12, 2009

Good gracious, Ass is bodacious

I went Christmas shopping today and while I was in Borders I started talking to their general manager. I asked him if they had 'Pygmy' by Chuck Palahniuk (which I've yet to read), and this guy lit up like... a Christmas tree? Screw. I was trying to come up with some super clever comparison to how a prostitute would light up after winning a life time supply of condoms. The words aren't here. He was more than moderately happy to meet another Chuck fan. There. Anyway, we talked about books for like half an hour and he recommended that I read Tom Robbins ('Even Cowgirls get the Blues', 'Still Life with Woodpecker'). This guy,whose name escapes me, but it was something along the lines of Ale...An.... something Italian sounding and uncommon, told me he had lived in Portland Oregon for quite some time, where I was born, and that he had met Chuck Palahniuk several times and even has a Chuck poster that was personally autographed. For those of you that don't know, Chuck Palahniuk is a fantastic edgy writer who has made such contributions as 'Invisible Monsters', 'Choke', and 'Fight Club'. General manager guy told me that one time he wrote to Chuck and in return was personally sent a box filled with various Chuck-esque things including dismembered Barbie dolls. Really rad guy, and after talking to him I'll never run out of things to read.

Now that I'm back on my Chuck obsession, I've also stumbled across his official fan site ChuckPalahniuk.net. It's a fantastic site that's directly involved with the author and it's free to sign up.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy shit, I haven't checked this blog in awhile-- but isn't Chuck rad? Funny story about Tom Robbins: there was this hippie drifter named Raven (This already sounds like the beginning of some vapid screenplay) who was sitting outside of Macy's. (This was after the SAT's, I don't know what I was doing there.) with a copy of Still Life with Woodpecker in her hands. I asked her what it was about, to which she replied: "This couple's enters a cave or something, (I think...) has crazy profound sex, and because of that, enchants everything in the cave, (Or house, I can't remember which) to life. The objects try to find their creators, and shit happens." Crazy man. She recommended Jitterbug Perfume for me. But enough of that. Write to Chuck and get some free swag. Or Mee, and get some equally bizarre, but wonderful things.

SweetPea said...

I can't wait to receive crazy awesome swag. That story made my day. That chick was probably on sabbatical from Humboldt County. God damn hippies.
Thank you once again for caring about my blog.
I can't wait to enchant a cave with you,
Kooch